In this article, I will show you how to make one of my favorite new recipes, slow cooker butter chicken.
My butter chicken is a little different from traditional butter chicken. I am keeping it super easy today and we will not have to saute anything before putting it into the slow cooker, even though we’re not sauteing anything. You guys are going to be blown away by how much flavor this butter chicken has.
I feel like people might get a little upset with me on this one. There’s no butter or cream in my butter chicken. Bear with me here, though. By avoiding dairy in this recipe, we can assemble it ahead and freeze it as a freezer crock-pot meal.
What is A Freezer Crockpot Meal?
A freezer crockpot meal is a meal that you assemble ahead either in freezer bags or reusable containers and freeze before you cook it.
When you’re ready to cook it, you thaw it, and then all you have to do is just dump it in the slow cooker, push the button and you’re halfway to dinner.
Instead of showing you guys how to assemble this as a freezer crockpot, I’m going to be cooking it up fresh so that we get to see the final product.
What are the ingredients needed for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
This recipe calls for tomato sauce, which seems to trip some people up. I know overseas tomato sauce can sometimes mean ketch-up. I do not mean to ketchup for this recipe. What I mean is Tomato puree.
I got my tomato puree at Costco and it’s just pureed tomatoes. The ingredients also include sea salt, organic onion powder, garlic powder, and citric acid.
So sometimes it comes with chili powder and other seasonings. Regardless, you want pureed tomatoes, not ketchup.
So we’re going to jump in and get started with our slow cooker butter.
How To Make Slow-Cooker Butter Chicken?
The first thing we’re going to do is stir up the ingredients for the sauce.
So, to the Crock-Pot, I’m adding one can of tomato sauce, and one can of coconut milk. Make sure you use full-fat coconut milk. Sometimes light coconut milk can split into the slow cooker.
I’m also adding in some spices, some tandoori masala, garam masala, cumin, coriander, onion powder, garlic powder & salt.
Just stir it all up, don’t worry too much about the lumps of coconut milk that will go right into the mixture as it cooks.
And we are adding some boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes. Stir it all up in the sauce and we are ready to cook.
So we’re going to cook this on low for five hours. You can also cook it on high for about three and a half hours if you’re in a rush. Once it’s done cooking, stir in some almond flour to thicken, some salt, and lemon juice. Stirred it all up, and you are ready to serve.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
I like to serve mine with rice and steamed broccoli. It also makes a fantastic meal prep lunch, and you can even freeze the leftovers.
If you have questions, leave them below in a comment.
Don’t forget to share my article with your family and friends.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken - Cream & Dairy Free | Low Carb
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into large cubes)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 14.5 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
- 13.5 oz coconut milk (full fat; 400 mL)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt (or adjust to taste)
- In your crockpot add tomato sauce, coconut milk, and all the spices - garam masala, tandoori masala, cumin, ground coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into cubes).
- Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the almond flour, and lemon juice, and adjust the salt to taste.
- Serve with rice and steamed broccoli. This makes a fantastic meal prep lunch, and you can freeze the leftovers!
Freezer Crockpot Meals
- Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag, 1.5 L reusable silicone freezer bag, or storage container.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
Freezer Lunch Portions
- Portion out the butter chicken with rice (or quinoa) and steamed vegetables into freezer-safe meal prep containers.
- Cool completely, then freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before reheating in the microwave until steaming hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 348Saturated Fat: 13gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 793mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g